Spending a day in Lewisburg? Here are a few of the best things to do while you’re visiting.
Start your day at the Wild Bean coffee shop. Located downtown, this cafe offers premium coffee, tea, veggie cuisine, wi-fi, entertainment, and more! The breakfast menu consisting of breakfast burritos, egg scrambles, breakfast sandwiches and granola w/ yogurt. Promoting local agriculture is important to them so they purchase free-range eggs from area farmers. The Wild Bean has bagels, granola and baked goods that are all made in-house from high-quality all-natural ingredients. Learn more: TheWildBrew.com
Other great breakfast options include Corn + Flour (bagels, salads, soups, sandwiches, sweets) and Amy’s Market in downtown Lewisburg and Tudor’s Biscuit World, the well-known West Virginia restaurant chain, on Rt 219 N.
After breakfast, take a walk through the downtown and visit many of the local retailers. You will find the latest fashion, gifts, kitchen supplies, home goods, jewelry, men’s and women’s shoes, American-made clothing and art, wines, the local toy store, and so much more. Most shops open at 10am. Wolfcreek Gallery offers a large selection of specialty clothing, jewelry, shoes and gifts. You can find that perfect item every time! Bella the Corner Gourmet is the hippest gourmet shop around, Robert’s Antiques & Wine Shop sells over 600 labels of wine, Love Child Toy Store & Children’s Boutique, catering to kids up to 10 years young. There’s also Patina, Harmony Ridge Gallery, Yarid’s Shoe Store, Studio 40, Edith’s Health & Specialty Store, High Country Boutique, Sunflower Soul, and so much more!
Are you planning a Tacori engagement or in the search of the perfect estate pieces? Drive up the road to Lewisburg Diamond and Gold (located across from Walmart). If you’re looking for new wheels, stop-in Greenbrier Motors in Fairlea. In operation for more than 75 years, this family-owned dealership carries a huge selection of Ram, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep. If you are more interested in a used vehicle, we suggest M&M Used Cars, located just down the road from Greenbrier Motors.
Let’s talk lunch!
For lunch, there are plentiful restaurants around town that serve delicious offerings from tacos and burritos at Thunderbird Taco to “burger of the week” at The Asylum. A burger with a side of fries has been America’s quintessential year-round comfort food for over a half century, and the Asylum in downtown Lewisburg is turning heads with “Burger of the Week”. Restaurant owner, Colin Rose, and manager, Paula Marie Thomas, feature a different burger every week in all their delicious glory. The formulas are pretty classic, but executed perfectly, and with an unabashed tendency for the indulgent. They are all served with a side of traditional fries, sweet potato fries, or onion rings. Other excellent lunch choices include Stardust, Del Sol Cantina and Grille, Hill & Holler, Wild Bean, Jim’s Drive-In, Corn + Flour, Blackwell’s, Carlito’s, Taste of Heaven, and Food & Friends. (Scroll down for more information on these eateries and restaurants).
In the mood for a Chinese lunch? Check out China Palace, a family owned/operated restaurant serving all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch and dinner. Read more: hashtagwv.com/good-eats-christmas-china-palace-random-prophet
Ready for a treat?
Grab an ice cream or dessert from Amy’s Market and Jim’s Drive-In has the best milkshakes around. Take your tasty treat over to the downtown Greenspace to enjoy the fountain. Play the town piano too! instagram.com/p/BlLMMcHlYMB/?taken-by=hashtagwv
Take a hike!
The Greenbrier River Trail is just minutes from downtown Lewisburg and is the longest trail of its kind in West Virginia. Used for hiking, biking camping, and horseback riding, the trail provides many breathtaking views as it passes through several small towns, crosses 35 bridges, goes through two tunnels and cuts through some of West Virginia’s most remote areas.
Lost World Caverns: Beneath your feet lies an entire wild world, vastly unexplored. So if you think you know the Greenbrier Valley, think again! Greenbrier, Pocahontas, and Monroe counties alone boast thousands of known caves and miles of passages spanning through an underground system like veins in the earth. Read more: hashtagwv.com/ramblin-do-it-in-the-dark-by-jennifer-sprouse
Play a round of golf!
Elk’s Country Club is open to the public and after one visit, you will quickly realize this is where golf, dining, and social events are more than a past time… it’s a way of life. You can fulfill all your recreational needs not only with eighteen great holes of golf, but also a centrally located clubhouse which houses the pro shop and locker rooms; the Dutch Haus Restaurant which serves steaks, cold beer and has a spectacular deck overlooking the golf course; an outdoor swimming pool; and a special banquet room to host your next party! Read more: hashtagwv.com/tee-into-fall-lewisburg-elks-country-club
Unwind at the spa
When it comes to unwinding, Cartier Raine Lifestyle Spa in Lewisburg can help you with their affordable spa treatments. Tucked away behind Ruby Tuesday on Rt 219, this small, intimate spa focuses primarily on full-body pampering without breaking the bank. Read more: hashtagwv.com/in-the-valley-back-to-school-back-to-spa-cartier-raine-lifestyle-spa
Grab a local spirit!
At Hawk Knob Hard Cider & Mead, two Appalachian men are reviving a centuries-old tradition of making handcrafted cider and mead in Greenbrier County. Josh Bennet and Will Lewis are the co-owners and founders of Hawk Knob, West Virginia’s first cidery that also offers dry aged meads and traditional dry ciders. Read more: hashtagwv.com/homegrown-hawk-knob-hard-cider-delivers-a-taste-of-tradition-lewisburg/
At Smooth Ambler Spirits, you will see that not only did the Scotch-Irish bring fine whiskey-making skills to our mountains but Appalachia’s water, grains, and mountain air make for ideal conditions to distill and age these spirits in Greenbrier Valley. Read more: hashtagwv.com/smooth-ambler
At Greenbrier Valley Brewing Company, experience the meaning behind Wild and Wonderful West Virginia by enjoying a quality craft beer. They are proud of their West Virginia roots, and paying homage by naming their beers after local legends and mythical figures. Every day they push themselves to think outside the box by creating new, exciting, complex and delicious craft beer. Read more: hashtagwv.com/in-the-spirit-great-things-come-in-small-packages-ginger-lasalle/
Hit some pins!
Greenbrier Bowling & Recreation Center offers fun for the entire family! Enjoy open bowling, pizza, beer, cosmic bowling, join a league, or even celebrate a special occasion!
Travel through history
The North House Museum doesn’t simply contain dull, lifeless artifacts. Each room enchants the visitor with intriguing themes about our region’s history, such as the healing spring resorts, the Civil War era, and our unique art culture. As the charismatic tour guides inject vigor into each facet of the museum, the unmitigated spirit of the North House stands out like a frisbee flying over a salt flat. Read more: hashtagwv.com/valley-view-step-into-history-at-north-house-museum-ben-anderson
Go out for dinner!
There’s nothing like a good meal at a nice restaurant. In our Lewisburg restaurants, most everyone in the kitchen has done their 10,000 hours. Here are some wonderful (all casual) options downtown:
- The Livery (American, outdoor dining)
- Why folks love it: Caesar salads, trout, goat cheese ice cream, and cocktails.
- The French Goat (American, French, Euro, Bistro, outdoor dining)
- Why folks love it: poached eggs at brunch, goat, escargot, wine dinners, onion soup, flat iron steak, truffle fries, duck, short ribs, oysters, cocktails
- The Asylum (Bar, American, Pub, outdoor dining (2 floors), open late, serving food till 11pm)
- Why people love it: live music, cold beer and on-tap beer selection, fried chicken, burgers, and fries.
- Food & Friends (American, Vegetarian-friendly)
- Why people love it: salads, steaks, and bread & butter.
- Del Sol Cantina & Grille (Southwestern, Bar, Mexican/Latin, outdoor dining)
- Why folks love it: guacamole, tacos, chimichangas, on-tap beer selection.
- Blackwell’s (Pizza, Italian, Cafe, European)
- Why folks love it: pizzas, soup, European pastries and breads, and burgers.
- Stardust (American)
- Why people love it: curried chicken, blt’s, coconut cake and pastries, and wine.
- General Lewis Inn & Restaurant (American, outdoor dining)
- Why people love it: the restaurant’s ambiance, brunch, cornbread, biscuits, signature cocktails.
- Hill & Holler (Bar, American, Pizza, outdoor dining).
- Why people love it: salads, wings, calzones, local craft brews on-tap, pizzas.
- Humble Tomato
- “It’s the kind of place where you might find yourself sitting out on the patio with your dog to enjoy pizza for lunch, or inside for a delicious meal at night, or just hanging with friends to watch a game at the bar on the weekend.” – Greenbrier Valley Quarterly.
- Thunderbird Taco (Southwestern, Mexican)
- Why folks love it: fun high-energy atmosphere and fresh flavorful food. Nachos appetizer, fish tacos and taco salads, guacamole burrito, quesadillas, braised beef, rice bowls, and fresh-squeezed margaritas.
Here are more dinner options, around the town:
- Silver Dragon (Chinese)
- Why folks love it: Generous portions, fried rice, egg drop soup, General Tso’s chicken, many vegetarian options, and friendly staff.
- Spare Time Bar & Grille (Bar, American)
- Why folks love it: Sports games on tv’s, pool tables, burgers, and nachos.
- Fujiyama (Japanese Steakhouse, Sushi)
- Why people love it: sushi, edamame, and salmon.
- China Palace (Chinese buffet, all-you-can-eat)
- Why folks love it: Hot, fresh options full of variety, fish tank by the front door (kids enjoy), coconut chicken, sushi, egg foo young, crispy duck.
- Alfredo’s (Italian)
- Why people love it: french fries, large portions, delivery, calzones, lamb gyro, and pizzas.
- Shoneys (American, all-you-can-eat)
- Why folks love it: Friday night seafood buffet, large selection of daily buffet, turkey, dessert bar and blackberry cobbler.
- Carlito’s (Mexican)
- Why folks love it: All-you-can-eat lunch buffet, burritos, margaritas, and friendly service. Bonus: Patio dining.
- Habanero’s Mexican Grill (Mexican)
- Burritos, nachos, taco, etc. Beef, chicken, steak, chorizo, and more. Bonus: Patio dining.
Plan your night!
There are numerous spots in town with plentiful music, live theatre, and events including Carnegie Hall, Greenbrier Valley Theatre, Irish Pub, The Asylum, Lewis Theatre, Spare Time, and the Sweet Shoppe. You can also check out a newly released movie at Cinema 8. Pick us up or see our AGENDA for the current list of events.
If you’re staying the night there are lots of local options.
- The Escape, located beside the Asylum in downtown Lewisburg
- Historic General Lewis Inn & Restaurant, on E. Washington St in downtown Lewisburg
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriot in Lewisburg
- Hampton Inn in Lewisburg (newly remodeled)
- Holiday Inn Express in Lewisburg
- Quality Inn, in Lewisburg
- Super 8 by Whyndham in Lewisburg
- The Manse, in downtown White Sulphur Springs
- The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs
Want to live in Lewisburg?
Talk with Jill (pictured in the middle) at Greenbrier Real Estate for all your real estate needs! There’s also…
Enjoy your stay and pick up Hashtag Lewisburg City Paper during your visit!