On Saturday, August 21st, you are invited to Pocahontas County’s Bicentennial Trout Sculpture Premiere, 11am-4pm, at Discovery Junction in downtown Marlinton! Artists include Johnny Fitzgerald, Kelsey Beverage, Charles McNeel, Rebekah Anderson, Cheryl Beverage, Kim Hafler, Eric Werner, and Sage Tanguay.
Join 8 trout sculptures, 8 rivers, 8 communities, 8 local artists, and 8 local sponsors!
As part of the celebration, eight six-foot tall sculptures of a trout have each been painted by a local artist. Each trout will represent one of the eight rivers that have their headwaters in the county. Cara Rose, of the Pocahontas County Convention and Visitors Bureau tells us about the premier public unveiling of these sculptures.
As part of the celebration, eight six-foot tall sculptures of a trout have each been painted by a local artist.
Cara goes onto say, “we have eight rivers that are born in Pocahontas County. We have eight trout sculptures that represent eight of our communities, with eight local business and private sponsorships, and eight local artists that are participating in this project. And, it’s an exciting project. We have been working on this for over three years. Each one of these six-foot tall trout sculptures are unique and designed by the artists who have painted them.”
“We have eight rivers that are born in Pocahontas County, which is really something that no other county can claim” – Cara Rose
This is an opportunity for the public to view all eight of these magnificent sculptures at one place in an outdoor setting.
The public premiere of these trout sculptures at Discovery Junction is an opportunity for the public to view all eight of these magnificent sculptures at one place in an outdoor setting. And then each one of these sculptures will go to their respective communities and be permanently installed in those communities, with the hope that the visitors and the local residents celebrate the Bicentennial. Over the course of the next year, people will go from community to community and view and get their pictures taken with each one of these trout sculptures.
“This has been a project that has been three years in the making and it’s really exciting to finally unveil these beautiful sculptures as a public art project for Pocahontas County.” says Cara.
This has been a project that has been three years in the making…
Cara goes onto mention our rivers, “We have eight rivers that start in Pocahontas County, which is really something that no other county can claim. So, it’s a very unique feature that our mountains in Pocahontas County have.”
- “Cass, West Virginia, is one of our communities. The Cherry River will be featured with that sculpture. Johnny Fitzgerald is the artist, and Southern States, Marlinton Cooperative is the sponsor.”
- “Snowshoe Mountain Resort is our second community, with Shavers fork of the Cheat River. (The) artist is Kelsey Beverage, and sponsors are snowshoe mountain Resort and the Snowshoe Foundation.”
- “Hillsboro, West Virginia, will feature the Gauley River. The artist is Charles McNeel, sponsored by the McNeel Family.”
- “Green Bank, West Virginia, highlights the Greenbrier River. The artist is Rebekah Anderson. Sponsored by the Green Bank Observatory.”
- “Huntersville, West Virginia, chose the Williams River. And artist Cheryl Beverage, and is sponsored by Pendleton Community Bank.”
- Marlinton, West Virginia, and their sponsor chose the Cranberry River. The artist is Kim Hafler. And the sponsors are Russell and Cinnamon Jessee, in memory and honor of Basil Clair and Jane Price Sharp; Lyle Crawford; and Marjorie Caroline Marshall Smith and their Descendants.”
- “Durbin, West Virginia, highlights the Tygart River. The artist is Eric Werner, sponsored by the Tomato Fund.”
- And the county Courthouse will have the Elk River featured on their trout. The artist is Sage Tanguay, and sponsored by the Pocahontas County Commission.”
Discover Junction is located at 3rd avenue, Marlinton, WV. Discovery Junction is a community green space in Marlinton dedicated to honoring the local history and celebrating their path forward. When completed, Discovery Junction will feature an outdoor stage, a covered walkway for their farmer’s market, a splash pad, and so much more. For more information about this event, call the Pocahontas CVB at 304-799-4636
HashtagWV Art & Entertainment is a high-quality print and digital multimedia platform for all things West Virginia and the greater Appalachian region. The editorial focus is local music, unique shopping, the arts, events, theatre, and food and drinks. tiktok.com/@hashtagwv