On Saturday, November 18, Hawk Knob Cider in Lewisburg, WV hosts a special cider pairing dinner featuring chefs and storytellers Mike Costello and Amy Dawson from Lost Creek Farm. Tickets for this unique culinary experience are $100 per guest and include six courses, each paired with one of Hawk Knob’s acclaimed traditional ciders. Dinner starts at 6pm.
Via their traveling kitchen, Mike and Amy share story-rich Appalachian foods at culinary events across the eastern United States. Lost Creek Farm utilizes food as a way to tell important stories about the way people of all backgrounds have connected to the Appalachian landscape throughout time. Defined by centuries of immigration to the region, West Virginia’s food traditions reflect a melting pot that often goes unnoticed, and a complexity that goes underappreciated. In highlighting foods rooted in place, tradition and story, Lost Creek’s menus might include traditional Spanish longaniza sausage passed on by their neighbors in Harrison County, wild harvested ingredients, and Appalachian heirloom crops grown on their 180 acre farm.
Here’s the menu!
- 1st course, served before seating and during cidery tour rustic hand pie with Harrison County Spanish sausage || green tomato sorghum sofrito || garden chow chow paired with a fresh Active Ferment Cider as was the tradition growing up in the Allegheny Highlands, there’s nothing like robbing a freshly pressed barrel of actively fermenting cider
- 2nd course wood roasted beet and venison borscht || cultured parsnip cream || powdered chicory root || flowers from the field paired with Elderberry Infused Hard Cider
- 3rd course salad of kilt garden greens || smoked mountain trout || charred fennel || pickled onion || burnt and broken communion wafers || creamed sour corn paired with Appalachian Classic Hard Cider
- 4th course WV buckwheat gnocchi with cushaw squash brown butter || cider brined pulled rabbit || roasted blue hubbard squash || buckwheat sprouts || toasted seeds || smoked ricotta paired with Ambrosia, specialty release hard cider
- 5th course Chicken fried goat meatloaf || preserved heirloom tomato gravy || emberred turnips and their greens paired with Barrel Heritage
- 6th course hickory bark panna cotta || black walnut brittle || wild pear gastrique || JQ Dickinson salt paired with Tart Cherry, specialty release hard cider
Hawk Knob Cidery and Meadery is located at 2245 Blue Sulphur Pike. Lewisburg, WV 24901
Reserve your table NOW at hawkknob.com/product/cider-dinner-pairing You can also call Joshua Bennett at 334-324-5114 or call Hawk Knob’s tasting room director Jason Nerenberg at 304-651-4413. Follow this event on FACEBOOK!
– HashtagWV #95. November 2017.
HashtagWV Art & Entertainment is a high-quality print and digital multimedia platform for all things West Virginia and the greater Appalachian region. The editorial focus is local music, unique shopping, the arts, events, theatre, and food and drinks. tiktok.com/@hashtagwv