Five West Virginia counties have joined together to create the Mountain Music Trail, a regional partnership devoted to promoting cultural tourism and sustainable economic development through traditional music, dance, and folkways of the Allegheny Mountain region.
Loosely based along the Rt. 219 corridor, the Mountain Music Trail (MMT) currently has twenty-seven partners, including Carnegie Hall in Lewisburg and Pretty Penny Cafe in Hillsboro. During the Fall/Winter season, you’ll see performances by Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, Mean Mary & Alex Culbert, Larry Keel & Natural Bridge, Corey Lee McQuade, and the 20th Annual Fiddlers’ Reunion. As you’ll notice in LBSPY’s list of events, most of the MMT venues are offering regularly scheduled traditional music. The genres are mainly focused on old- time and bluegrass, as well as regionally significant ethnic, country, and gospel that ties to “place.”
“The Mountain Music Trail provides visitors a way to experience our brand of traditional mountain music while also preserving the unique music heritage of the region.” – Cara Rose, Executive Director of Pocahontas County Convention & Visitors Bureau.
• Tuesdays: Jam Session at American Music Hall, Ronceverte.
• Wednesdays: Open Mic Night at Sweet Shoppe w/ host Corey Lee.
• Fridays: Local Old Time Jam Session at Pretty Penny Cafe
• Sat, Sept 14: Mean Mary & Alex Culbert at Pretty Penny Cafe.
• Sat, Sept 14: Juanita Fireball & The Continental Drifters at Brazenhead Inn, Mingo.
• Thur, Sept 19: Traditional Old-Time Square Dance at Carnegie Hall, Lewisburg.
• Fri, Sept 20: Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder at Carnegie Hall, Lewisburg.
• Sat, Sept. 21: Dance at American Heritage Music Hall, Ronceverte.
• Fri, Sept 27: Evening Social at 4th Avenue Gallery, Marlinton.
• Sat, Oct. 5: Little Sparrow at Freshwater Folk Festival, WSS.
• Fri, Oct 11: Chris Thile, of Punch Brothers at Carnegie Hall. Lburg.
• Sat, Oct. 19, 2013: Little Sparrow at Festival in the Hills, Union.
• Sun, Oct 20: Little Sparrow at Irish Pub, Lewisburg.
• Sat, Nov 2: Larry Keel & Natural Bridge at Pocahontas County Opera House, Marlinton.
• November 1-3: 20th Annual Fiddlers’ Reunion at Augusta Heritage Center, Elkins.
For complete Mountain Music Trail events and partnership information, visit mountainmusictrail.com.
– Michelle Evans. LBSPY #41. (Sept 9-23)