When it comes to exploring Lewisburg food trends, there are no substitutes for tasting them yourself. And there’s no better place for that than the 33rd annual TOOT (Taste of our Town), slated for Saturday, October 14th in downtown Lewisburg. From 11am-3pm, thousands of residents and visitors will sample delicacies from local restaurants, civic clubs, and non-profit organizations. Tastings include a Pumpkin Bisque with roasted pumpkin seeds served in a mini pumpkin, Rabbit Cassoulet, and so many more delicacies! There will also be a variety of entertainment during the festival including live music, kids activities, and a caricature artist!
On the eve of TOOT, Friday, Oct 13, downtown Lewisburg will be rocking with nightlife. Golden voiced Wyatt Turner plays country at the Sweet Shoppe and Qiet plays jazz/punk rock at the Asylum, 9pm. American original, Junior Brown, performs at Carnegie Hall with his unique double necked “Guit-Steel” guitar at 7:30pm.
On Saturday Oct 14th following the TOOT festival, dress up in lederhosen (or not) and head over to Greenbrier Valley Brewing Co. in Maxwelton for Oktoberfest! Event kicks off at 4pm with 10 brews on tap, brats, pretzels, and music in their Tap Room (see page 3). Featured brews are a Bohemian Lager, Dunkel Bock Lager, a Roggenbier, and a few Märzen beers.
The Irish Pub is also hosting a Hurricane Relief Musical Benefit helping relief efforts in Puerto Rico. This event is held Saturday starting at 6pm and Sunday afternoon and features several musicians including Patrick O’Flaherty, Jeanne Hoffman, Allan Sizemore, Jim Snyder, Amy Grace McIntire, and Susanna Robinson.
Some other big events coinciding with TOOT are Walking Ghost Tours in downtown Lewisburg, the 37th Annual Art & Craft Show at the WV State Fairgrounds, Keith Bryant at the Masonic Theatre, Diamond Remount Show at Lewisburg Diamond and Gold, and Miller’s Nightmare Haunted Farm.
SOME TOOT TASTINGS:
- Blackwell’s: Deep-dish pizzas
- Bolling Alumni Association: Hamburgers & sodas
- Davis Stuart: Assorted cakes, breads, cookies, and brownies
- Davis Stuart – Mr. Blake’s Homeroom: Italian grilled sausage with peppers
- Foley Orthodontics: Cake pops
- Food & Friends: Shrimp kabobs, crab chowder, and pumpkin fudge
- Forest Blends: Bantai Civet Coffee
- The French Goat: Rabbit Cassoulet
- Grassroots Church: Sodas and water
- The Greenbrier: Kate’s Mountain pork bbq, Draper’s chicken pot pie, Greenbrier peaches and cream, Greenbrier bread pudding
- Greenbrier Episcopal School: Water
- GEHS French Exchange: Chocolate-covered pretzels
- The Greenbrier Sporting Club: Shrimp & grits
- Greenbrier Valley Medical Center: Pumpkin bisque with roasted pumpkin seeds served in a mini pumpkin
- Hamrick Concessions & Catering: Mini London Broil steak and cheese, deep-fried pork loin sliders, beef and chicken kabobs, and mini strawberry shortcake
- Hawk Knob Hard Cider & Mead: Locally made cider and mead tastings
- Kelly’s Persian Food: Coconut cookies, walnut pofak, vegetarian wraps
- Please Save a Cat: Southwest chicken chili, deep-fried strawberries, pet treats
- Renick Christian Fellowship: Homemade donuts
- Stuart’s Smokehouse: Pulled pork sandwich, brisket sandwich, hog balls, roasted corn, bbq shrimp
- Shuck Memorial Baptist Church: Apple pie sundae, cinnamon rolls
- Three Little Pigs: BBQ sandwich with slaw
TOOT MUSIC SCHEDULE
Lafayette & Washington Street:
- Lity Cimits, 11-12pm
- The Spanglers, 12:15-1:30pm
- Jim Snyder, 1:45-2:45pm
- Lewisburg Elementary 5th Grade Choir, 11-11:30am
- Greenbrier River Optimistic Ukulele Players, 12-12:30pm
- Eastern Greenbrier Middle School Band, 2-2:30pm
TOOT FAMILY & KIDS’ ENTERTAINMENT
- El Gleno Grande – A comedic & interactive show for all ages (periodic performances all day)
- Adopt-a-thon by Greenbrier Humane Society
- Country Roads CrossFit Kids’ Zone: hourly games, competitions, and kids activities
- Hourly Story Time w/ Elizabeth Spangler from Read Aloud WV
- Blood Pressure Screenings by WVSOM Sigma Sigma Phi.
- Caricatures by Kevin
Don’t miss this delicious benefit for Carnegie Hall in Lewisburg and check out some of the other happenings in this eventful town! This event is rain or shine. Cash is not accepted at TOOT. Purchase tokens in advance through Carnegie Hall by calling 304-645-7917 or for more information, visit carnegiehallwv.org.
– HashtagWV #94. October 2017