It’s here again, Thank Goodness! Yes, I really do love Xmas. I know, have a reputation for being heartless and uncompromising but Xmas just makes me smile!!
Those of us that are Xmas Fans are busy thinking of fun ways to celebrate, good things to cook, creative gifts to come up with and anticipating another viewing of the Polar Express and Elf. IGNORE the Grinches!!
So, the most marvelous thing about having dogs in your life is that they wholeheartedly throw themselves into the “happy” energy with you! It doesn’t matter if they do not fully understand the concept of our rituals and ceremonies…all they feel is the outpouring of glad feelings that accompany those of us who enjoy this season.
So I am going to share a list of some of the things My Dogs & I love about Xmas
- With any luck, it’s too cold for mud
- The bugs have shriveled up and DIED!!
- We can eat more because we need insulation against the cold!
- People smile more
- We get fun packages to rip open and crinkle with good stuff inside
- We get to see old friends and get together with some new ones
- The work schedule relaxes, leaving us more time for leisurely walks
- The cold makes everyone more cuddly
- Woodstoves are the best!!!
- We can wear lots of RED, (well, maybe that’s not Lizzie’s favorite thing)
- We can sleep in
- We can stay up late watching old movies
- We have to go on long walks to burn the Xmas Calories (Oh, did I mention that?)
- There is always the possibility of a PUPPY
- There are lots and lots of bright lights everywhere so we can take walks at night, (again with the walking)
- There are Xmas Trees to pee on (That one was for Spanky)
- It’s the one time of the year it’s OK to hug an English Person
- People get careless with their food after a Xmas drink or two and start dropping it (Portia’s favorite)
AND last but not least, NEW SLIPPERS!!!! Finally, the dogs get to chew on an old one, without getting into too much trouble…(I didn’t say that) So, if you see me or my pack wandering around town, we will accept any manner of silly greetings, good wishes or dog biscuits…You may even hear me singing snatches of Good King Wenceslas under my breath – don’t judge, I will be back to normal directly after Boxing Day!!
– Janine Lazarus, HashtagWV #108. December 2018. Follow Janine on instagram @goodladd_dogtraining and hire her at Goodladd.net!